Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, from now through October. Keep in mind the reality of COVID-19 protocols, expect possible cancellations, and mask up to keep yourself and others safe.
- Wednesday, September 22 – Guitarist Nate Najar and singer
Daniela Soledade bring their Love and
Bossa Nova program to a special pre-season matinee performance for the Charlotte County
Jazz Society. The Grill at 1951, Port Charlotte. 2 p.m.
- Saturday, October 2 – Trumpeter James Suggs’ quintet’s Louis Armstrong tribute concert. Hough Hall, Palladium Theatre, St. Petersburg. 8 p.m.
- Monday, October 11 – La
Lucha, with singer Ona Kirei and trumpeter James Suggs as special guests,
opens the Charlotte
County Jazz Society’s 2021-22 concert series. William H. Wakeman III
Theater, Cultural Center of Charlotte County. Port Charlotte. 7 p.m.
Cécile McLorin Salvant
- Wednesday, October 13 – Singer Cécile McLorin Salvant opens the 2021-22 Jazzy Nights concert series, with pianist Sullivan Fortner. Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers. 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, October 18 – The Jeff Rupert Quartet performs at Jazz Club of Sarasota’s Monday Night Jazz Cabaret series. John C Court Cabaret at Florida Studio Theatre. Sarasota, 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, October 24 – Acme Jazz Garage CD release concert for its new recording Sharkskin. Hough Hall, Palladium Theatre, St. Petersburg. 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 27 – Violinist Benjamin Schmid is special guest with the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra as the sextet opens its 2021-22 season. Artis Naples’ Daniels Pavilion. 6 and 8:30 p.m.
Several venues offer jazz steadily. They include The Grill at 1951 (formerly J.D.’s Bistro) in Port Charlotte; Amore, Goodfella’s Café and Patrick’s in Sarasota; Scarpino’s in Bradenton; the Firehouse Cultural Center in Ruskin; The Roadhouse and The Barrel Room at Twisted Vine Bistro in Fort Myers; and Slate’s in Cape Coral. Jazz at Two Friday matinee concerts sponsored by the Jazz Club of Sarasota also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.
Post a Comment