Here’s a preview of some of the more interesting jazz events in the Sarasota to Naples territory. The 2014-15 concert season hits full steam in October.
- Monday, October 13 – The Dave Pruyn trio (with Pruyn’s Mel Torme tribute, Notes in Velvet) and Paulette Pepper & Fine Thyme open the 2014-15 Charlotte County Jazz Society’s Artists Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County.
- Thursday, October 16 – Saturday, October 18 – Four appearances apiece by the Pedrito Martinez Group (Cook Theatre) and the Vijay Iyer Trio (Sainer Pavilion), Ringling International Arts Festival, Sarasota. Both groups appear at 5 p.m. Thursday, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Saturday. 941-360-7399.
- Thursday, October 16 – Sunday, October 19 – The 35th annual Clearwater Jazz Holiday. This year’s lineup at Coachman Park includes the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Spyro Gyra, Dr. John and Trombone Shorty, as well as Earth, Wind & Fire. It’s a pleasant surprise to see jazz-related acts back here as headliners.
- Wednesday, October 29 – Vibes player Jason Marsalis (son of Ellis and younger brother of Branford, Delfeayo and Wynton) is the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra’s special guest for this concert. Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 10 – Pianist Johnny Varro’s Swing Seven. Charlotte County Jazz Society’s Artists Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County. 7 p.m.
- Friday, November 21-Sunday, November 23 – The 24th annual Suncoast Jazz Classic pretty much takes over two Clearwater Beach hotel resorts (the Sheraton Sand Key and the Marriott Sand Key) for its annual traditional jazz bash.