Here’s a preview of some of the more interesting jazz events in the Sarasota to Naples territory. The 2014-15 concert season hits full steam in October.
- Monday, October 13 – The Dave Pruyn trio (with Pruyn’s Mel Torme tribute, Notes in Velvet) and Paulette Pepper & Fine Thyme open the 2014-15 Charlotte County Jazz Society’s Artists Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County.
- Thursday, October 16 – Saturday, October 18 – Four appearances apiece by the Pedrito Martinez Group (Cook Theatre) and the Vijay Iyer Trio (Sainer Pavilion), Ringling International Arts Festival, Sarasota. Both groups appear at 5 p.m. Thursday, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Saturday. 941-360-7399.
- Thursday, October 16 – Sunday, October 19 – The 35th annual Clearwater Jazz Holiday. This year’s lineup at Coachman Park includes the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Spyro Gyra, Dr. John and Trombone Shorty, as well as Earth, Wind & Fire. It’s a pleasant surprise to see jazz-related acts back here as headliners.
- Wednesday, October 29 – Vibes player Jason Marsalis (son of Ellis and younger brother of Branford, Delfeayo and Wynton) is the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra’s special guest for this concert. Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 10 – Pianist Johnny Varro’s Swing Seven. Charlotte County Jazz Society’s Artists Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County. 7 p.m.
- Friday, November 21-Sunday, November 23 – The 24th annual Suncoast Jazz Classic pretty much takes over two Clearwater Beach hotel resorts (the Sheraton Sand Key and the Marriott Sand Key) for its annual traditional jazz bash.
Post a Comment