Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, from now through March, as the 2019-20 concert season continues…. Note that some in late March may have been canceled due to COVID-19 concerns.
- Tuesday, February 25 through Saturday, February 29 – Singer Carmen Bradford and singer-trumpeter Byron Stripling join the Naples Philharmonic Pops in a Tribute to Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. Hayes Hall, Artis-Naples.
- Wednesday, March 4 – Trumpeter Terell Stafford guests with the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra in the sextet’s 2019-2020 concert series. Artis-Naples’ Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 and 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 4 – Saxophonist Kenny G performs at Artis-Naples’ Hayes Hall, Naples. 8 p.m.
March 8 – The Terry Myers Orchestra’s tribute to the big band generation. Venice
Performing Arts Center. 2 p.m.
- Monday, March 9 – Brazilian guitarist Diego Figueiredo performs in the Charlotte County Jazz Society’s concert series. William H. Wakeman III Theater, Cultural Center of Charlotte County. Port Charlotte. 7 p.m.
March 12 to Saturday, March 14: The 40th annual Sarasota Jazz Festival’s main
stage events are scheduled at Municipal Auditorium, as well as nearby Holley
Hall, Cohen Hall, The Arts Center and The Bayfront Room. Saturday’s headliner
is The Manhattan Transfer. Other
evening headliners: Musical Director Ken
Peplowski, Clairdee, Dick Hyman, Russell Malone, Charles McPherson, Houston
Person and Terell Stafford.
Clairdee, Dick Hyman
- Thursday, March 12 – Trumpeter Terell Stafford’s quintet performs in the Jazzy Nights concert series. Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 18 – Singer-guitarist John Pizzarelli and singer Catherine Russell: A tribute to Nat King Cole and the Ladies of Song. Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Sarasota. 8 p.m.
- Friday, March 20 – Singer-pianist Harry Connick Jr. in concert. Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Sarasota. 8 p.m.
- Sunday, March 22 – The Four Freshmen in concert. (SOLD OUT). A Jazz With Morrie co-production. Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota. 2 p.m.
Several local venues offer jazz steadily. They include The Grill at 1951 (formerly JD’s) in Port Charlotte, 88 Keys Florida and The Blue Turtle in Punta Gorda, Amore, the Art Ovation Hotel and the Burns Court Bistro in Sarasota, The Roadhouse, Society and The Barrel Room at Twisted Vine Bistro in Fort Myers, and Slate’s in Cape Coral. A variety of matinee concerts sponsored all season by the Jazz Club of Sarasota and Morrie Trumble’s Jazz With Morrie series also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.