Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, from now through May.
- Sunday, March 24 – The Four Freshmen in concert. A South County Jazz Club concert at the Glenridge Performing Arts Center. Sarasota. 2 p.m. (sold out)
April is Jazz Appreciation Month
- Monday, April 8 – The M&M Latin Jazz Ensemble, featuring Marty Morell on vibes and Michiko Morell on percussion and vocals, performs in the Charlotte County Jazz Society’s concert series. William H. Wakeman III Theater, Cultural Center of Charlotte County. Port Charlotte. 7 p.m.
- Friday, April 19 – Pianist Marcus Roberts’ trio
performs in the Jazzy Nights concert series. Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center,
Fort Myers. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 24 – Singer Veronica Swift guests with the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra in the sextet’s 2018-2019 concert series. Artis-Naples’ Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 and 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 11 – Singer Alexis Cole in concert. Firehouse Cultural Center, Ruskin. 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 15 – The Naples Philharmonic
Jazz Orchestra performs the music of brothers Cannonball and Nat
Adderley as the sextet winds up its
- Saturday, May 18 – Drummer Paul Gavin’s new group, Mosaic, pays tribute to drummer-bandleader Art Blakey. Firehouse Cultural Center, Ruskin. 7:30 p.m.
Several local venues offer jazz steadily. They include J.D.’s Bistro in Port Charlotte, 88 Keys Florida and The Blue Turtle in Punta Gorda, Amore, the Art Ovation Hotel and the Burns Court Bistro in Sarasota, The Roadhouse and The Barrel Room at Twisted Vine Bistro in Fort Myers, and Slate’s in Cape Coral. A variety of matinee concerts sponsored all season by the Jazz Club of Sarasota and the South County Jazz Club also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.
Post a Comment