Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, from now through May.
- Sunday, March 25 –
Singer Alexis Cole in concert. Firehouse
Cultural Center, Ruskin. 3:30 p.m.
March 28 – Vibraphonist Warren Wolf guests with the Naples
Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra in the sextet’s All That Jazz series. Artis-Naples’
Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 and 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 31 – The Bossa Nova All Stars featuring guitarist Nate Najar, vibes player Chuck Redd, saxophonist Harry Allen and singer Maucha Adnet. A South County Jazz Club-Venice Institute for the Performing Arts concert. Venice Performing Arts Center. 7 p.m.
- Sunday, April 8 – Harry Allen digs into the Woody Herman band's classic Four Brothers sound with a Four Others program teaming him with fellow saxophonists Lew Del Gatto, Jeff Rupert and Saul Dautch. A Tampa Jazz Club performance at the Mainstage Theater, Hillsborough Community College' Ybor City campus. Tampa, 3 p.m.
- Monday, April 9 – Dixieland Jazz Night closes out the Charlotte County Jazz Society‘s 2017-18 concert series. Trombonist Herb Bruce and his Herbicide Jazz Band provide the swinging merriment. William H. Wakeman III Theater, Cultural Center of Charlotte County, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, April 12 - A Night of Gypsy Jazz with Hot Club SRQ. A South County Jazz Club concert at Venice Art Center, Venice, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, April 15 - The Four Freshmen. Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota. 2 p.m.
- Sunday, April 15 – Trumpeter Chris Botti, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Sarasota. 8 p.m.
- Monday, April 16 - Trumpeter Chris Botti with the Naples Philharmonic, Hayes Hall, Artis Naples, 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 18 - Trumpeter Randy Brecker is the featured guest with the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra in the sextet’s All That Jazz series. Artis-Naples’ Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 and 8:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 30 - This is International Jazz Day across the globe.St. Petersburg, Russia is this year's Global Host City.
- Wednesday, May 16 - The Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra plays The music of Miles Davis in the season finale of the sextet’s All That Jazz series. Artis-Naples’ Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 and 8:30 p.m.
Several local restaurants (including J.D.’s in Port Charlotte, 88 Keys Florida and The Blue Turtle in Punta Gorda, Fandango in Sarasota, The Roadhouse and The Barrel Room at Twisted Vine Bistro in Fort Myers, and Slate’s in Cape Coral) offer jazz steadily. A variety of matinee concerts sponsored all season by the Jazz Club of Sarasota and the South County Jazz Club also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.