The 2014-15 jazz concert season is under way. Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, between now and the end of the year.
- Monday, October 27 – The Music of Horace Silver performed by the University of South Florida Faculty Jazz Ensemble (Jack Wilkins, Tom Brantley, Matt McCarthy, LaRue Nickelson, Mark Neuenschwander, Chris Rottmayer, Ric Craig), USF Concert Hall, Tampa, 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 29 – Vibes player Jason Marsalis (younger brother of Branford, Delfeayo and Wynton) is the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra’s special guest for this concert. Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 10 – Pianist Johnny Varro’s Swing Seven. Charlotte County Jazz Society’s Artists Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County. 7 p.m.
- Friday, November 21-Sunday, November 23 – The 24th annual Suncoast Jazz Classic pretty much takes over two Clearwater Beach hotel resorts (the Sheraton Sand Key and the Marriott Sand Key) for its annual traditional jazz bash.
- Monday, December 8 – New England-based hard-bop saxophonist Greg Abate makes his biennial visit to the Charlotte County Jazz Society’s Artists Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 10 – Pianist Uri Caine is the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra’s special guest. Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- POSTPONED UNTIL 2015 DUE TO ILLNESS: Saturday, December 13 – Singer-pianist Diana Krall. Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Sarasota.
- Sunday, December 14 – The Four Freshmen, South County Jazz Club concert series, Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota, 2 p.m.
- Thursday, December 18 – Bop pianist Hod O’Brien with singers Stephanie Nakasian and Veronica O’Brien (their daughter). South County Jazz Club concert, Venice Art Center, 2 p.m.
- Thursday, December 18 – Grammy-winning jazz singer Gregory Porter, Straz Center, Tampa, 8 p.m.
- Saturday, December 20 – Guitarist Nate Najar’s trio with special guest Harry Allen, South County Jazz Club concert series, Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota, 8 p.m.
Several local restaurants (including J.D.’s in Port Charlotte, The Orange House in Punta Gorda, The Roadhouse in Ft. Myers, and Alto in Naples) offer jazz steadily. A variety of matinee concerts sponsored all season by the Jazz Club of Sarasota and the South County Jazz Club also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.