Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, from now through January.
- Saturday, November 25 – Guitarists John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring’s Meeting of the Spirits tour, Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater. 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 29 – 20th anniversary tour of Dave Koz Christmas, teaming the alto saxophonist with fellow smoothies David Benoit, Rick Braun, Peter White and Selina Albright. Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater. 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, December 2 –the Dan Heck Blues and Truth Sextet, featuring trumpeter Dan Miller, performs the Music of Charles Mingus and Oliver Nelson. CAPA at the Wang Center, Naples. 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, December 4 – Dan Miller-Lew Del Gatto Orchestra holiday concert featuring the finest players from Miami, Orlando, Tampa and SW Florida, North Naples United Methodist Church. 7 p.m.
- Saturday, December 9 – Trumpeter Bobby Shew is featured with The Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra. Artis-Naples’ Daniels Pavilion, Naples. 4 p.m. free.
- Monday, December 11 – Bebop saxophonist Greg Abate’s quartet, Charlotte County Jazz Society concert series,
William H Wakeman III Theater, Cultural Center of Charlotte County, Port
Charlotte, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 13 – Singer Carmen Bradford guests with the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra in the sextet’s concert series at Artis-Naples’ Daniels Pavilion. 6 and 8:30 p.m.
- Friday, December 15 – Guitarist Nate Najar's Jazz Holiday with Chuck Redd, Jeff Rupert, John Lamb, Mark Feinman and James Suggs. A South County Jazz Club concert at the Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota. 8 p.m.
- Monday, January 8 – Joe Delaney and Friends in concert at the Charlotte County Jazz Society’s Latin Jazz Night. William H Wakeman III Theater, Cultural Center of Charlotte County, Port Charlotte, 7 p.m.
- Wed, January 10 – Ramsey Lewis & John Pizzarelli in concert with their Straighten Up and Fly Right tribute to Nat King Cole. Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Sarasota, 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 24 – Tenor saxophonist Harry Allen and trombonist Wycliffe Gordon with the Ed Metz-Rossano Sportiello-Nicki Parrott trio. A South County Jazz Club-Venice Institute for the Performing Arts concert. Venice Performing Arts Center. 7 p.m.
- Saturday, January 27 – Singer Kenny Washington is featured with the Dan Miller-Lew Del Gatto Quintet, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center. Fort Myers, 8 p.m.
Several local restaurants (including J.D.’s in Port Charlotte, 88 Keys Florida and The Turtle Club in Punta Gorda, Fandango in Sarasota, The Roadhouse and The Barrel Room at Twisted Vine Bistro in Ft. Myers, and Slate’s in Cape Coral, offer jazz steadily).
A variety of matinee concerts sponsored all season by the Jazz Club of Sarasota and the South County Jazz Club also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.