Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, from now through April when the 2016-2017 concert season winds down.
March 24 – Trombonist Wycliffe Gordon.
The Sidney & Berne Davis
Art Center, Fort Myers, 8 p.m.
- Saturday, April 1 – Brazilian guitarist Diego Figueiredo and St. Petersburg-based O Som Do Jazz. Fogartyville Arts Center, Sarasota. 7 p.m.
- Wedneday, April 5 – Tenor saxophonist Eric Alexander joins the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra for the sextet’s monthly All That Jazz concert. Artis-Naples’ Daniels Pavilion, 6 and 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 8 – Drummer/vibraphonist Chuck Redd with the St. Petersburg-based La Lucha Trio. A Jazz Club of Sarasota concert at the Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota. 8 p.m.
- Monday, April 10 – The Bob Leary Sextet performs on Dixieland Night. Charlotte County Jazz Society‘s Concert Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County, Port Charlotte. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 12 – Trumpeter Chris Botti, The Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Sarasota. 8 p.m. Sunday, April 23 – The Four Freshmen. A South County Jazz Club concert at the Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota. 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 26 – The Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra’s
final All That Jazz concert of
the 2016-17 season features the sextet performing the music of Brazilian
Carlos Jobim. Artis-Naples’ Daniels
Pavilion, 6 and 8:30 p.m.
Several local restaurants (including J.D.’s in Port Charlotte, Fandango in Sarasota, The Roadhouse and The Barrel Room at Twisted Vine Bistro in Ft. Myers and Slate’s in Cape Coral, offer jazz steadily). A variety of “Jazz at Two” Friday matinee concerts sponsored all season by the Jazz Club of Sarasota and the South County Jazz Club also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.