Here is a rundown of noteworthy jazz events, principally in the Sarasota to Naples territory, from now through mid-May.
- March 6-12 – Jazz Club of Sarasota‘s 36th annual Sarasota Jazz Festival. This year's major concerts feature the Naples Jazz Orchestra with trumpeter Byron Stripling; guitarist Diego Figueiredo and clarinetist Ken Peplowski; trombonist Wycliffe Gordon; and a Dick Hyman-led all-star band that includes guitarists Howard Alden and Russell Malone. These 7:30 p.m. concerts are at the Riverview High School Performing Arts Center in Sarasota.
- Wednesday, March 9 – Flutist Hubert Laws joins the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra for the sextet’s monthly All That Jazz concert. Daniels Pavilion, 6 and 8:30 p.m. Across the courtyard, trumpeter Chris Botti guests with the Naples Philharmonic Orchestra at Hayes Hall, 8 p.m.
- Sunday, March 13 – Singer Tony Bennett in concert. Hayes Hall, Artis Naples, 8 p.m.
- Monday, March 14 – Saxophonist Harry Allen’s quintet featuring singer Rebecca Kilgore. Charlotte County Jazz Society‘s Artists Series. Cultural Center of Charlotte County, Port Charlotte. 7 p.m.
March 15 14 – Saxophonist Harry
Allen’s quintet featuring
singer Rebecca Kilgore. South County Jazz Club concert at Unitarian Church, 1971 Pinebrook Road, Venice.
- Saturday, March 19 – Pianist Cyrus Chestnut makes his first South County Jazz Club appearance. Glenridge Performing Arts Center, Sarasota, 7.p.m.
- Tuesday, April 5 – Trumpeter Chris Botti. Van Wezel Performing Arts Center, Sarasota, 8 p.m.
- Monday, April 11 – The Dave Morgan quartet and the Bob Zottola quartet are featured in this Charlotte County Jazz Society Artists Series 2015-16season finale. Cultural Center of Charlotte County. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 27 – Cornetist Warren Vaché joins the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra for the sextet’s monthly All That Jazz concert. Daniels Pavilion, 6 and 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 11 – The Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra (actually a sextet) pays tribute to late pianist and composer Horace Silver at its monthly All That Jazz concert. Daniels Pavilion, 6 and 8:30 p.m.
Several local restaurants (including J.D.’s in Port Charlotte, The Orange House in Punta Gorda, Fandango in Sarasota and The Roadhouse in Ft. Myers, offer jazz steadily. A variety of matinee concerts sponsored all season by the Jazz Club of Sarasota and the South County Jazz Club also keep things swinging for jazz lovers.